Tesla is set to unveil its new electric semi truck this evening. The event kicks off at 8PM PT (11PM ET – 4AM UTC) and we’ll have in-depth coverage of everything Tesla announces. Head below for our full live blog of the event…
Tesla CEO Elon Musk has set the expectations high for the unveiling of the company’s semi. He teased that the Tesla Semi Truck announcement will “blow your mind clear out of your skull and into an alternate dimension,” so needless to say, we have pretty high expectations.
We outlined our own pre-event thoughts earlier this week and went live on YouTube this evening to talk more in-depth about what we expect to see. Be sure to read up on all of our previous Tesla Semi coverage in our complete guide right here.
Check out our live chat below:
Original version here.
Tesla’s semi event will begin in an hour at 8PM PT (11PM ET – 4AM UTC). Watch the live stream on Tesla’s website and follow along with us in the live blog below, as well as on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Tesla Semi live blog:
- One hour until showtime…
- Here’s the scene ahead of the big unveil:
- Be sure to follow our Instagram for a first-person look at tonight’s shenanigans
- The countdown clock and stream are now live on Tesla.com!
- 20 minutes till show the big show…
- We’re officially in the doors, 10 minutes to scheduled start time.
- This place is packed…people packed from corner to corner
- Cool pano shot from Fred below:
- Live stream should commence around 8:15/11:15, we’re told.
- The folks on the Tesla Motors subreddit have done some digging and found some info on price for Tesla Semi:
- Jerome Guillen, VP, Truck and Programs, kicks things off, conforming there are already reservations for Tesla Semi
- Here come the trucks…
- Center-seat driver, McLaren F1-style
- Tesla Semi will go 0-60 in 5 seconds, 20 seconds with 80,000 pounds
- Up-hill at 65MPH versus 45MPH for other semis
- 500 miles on a single charge, even with max load
- $5,000 reservation with production in 2019, reserve today and get it in two-is years
- Super aerodynamic
- 4 motors
- Elon confirms Megachargers, says Tesla Semi can add 400 miles of range in 30 minutes of charging
- “By the time you are done with your break, the truck is ready to go. You will not be waiting for your truck to charge,” according to Elon.
- Elon says he can drive Tesla Semi and he has ‘node how to drive a semi’
- “Your truck is running on sunlight” – Musk
- Enhanced Autopilot:
- Automatic Emergency Braking
- Automatic Lane Keeping
- Forward Collision Warning
- Musk says the Tesla Semi will have 1 million mile guarantee, while the brake pads will have “quasi-infinite” lifespan with regen braking
- $1.26/mile average cost versus $1.51/mile for diesel truck
- And the next-gen Roadster just emerged from the Semi…
- All numbers are for the base model…
- Roadster 2 does 0-60 in 1.9 seconds
- Fastest production car ever
- Quarter mile in 8.9 seconds
- 620 mile range
- 0 to 100 in 4.2 seconds
- 200KWH battery pack
- “The point of doing this is to give a hardcore smackdown to internal combustion cars.” – Elon
- Top speed over 250 miles
- Four seats
- Available in 2020