Over the past few weeks, Schaeffler has been letting German race driver Daniel Abt play with their crazy new all-electric vehicle: an Audi RS3 equipped with a battery pack and 4 Formula E electric motors in order to create an 880 kW all-electric racing car.
Now the driver has taken the world record for speed in reverse gear at 210 km/h.
As we previously reported, the German engineering and manufacturing group was already familiar with the Formula E motor through its involvement with Audi’s Formula E team.
But they went to a whole new level by putting four of them in a single car, each of which provides a power output of 220 kW.
It is also equipped with two battery packs with an overall capacity of 64 kWh for a modest range, but it’s enough for Schaeffler to perform its tests and blow away any driver or passenger.
Over the past few weeks, they have partnered with Daniel Abt, a German race driver competing in Formula E, to test the vehicle.
Last month, he did what he called ‘the hottest donut ever’ with the all-electric vehicle.
Now he attempted to break the world record for speed in reverse gear at 210 km/h.
Here you can watch the impressive video of the record (German):
Here are some specs that Schaeffler released about the vehicle:
- Motors from the Abt Schaeffler FE01 Formula E racing car (season II)
- Integration of four electric motors with a power output of 220 kW each (Pmax)
- Overall power output of 880 kW (approx. 1,200 PS)
- MGU with 320 Nm of peak torque
- From 0 to 200 km/h in less than 7 seconds
- Selective wheel drive
- Battery capacity: 64 kWh
- Concept and overall vehicle design: Schaeffler Technologies
- Overall design and manufacturing of the gearbox: Schaeffler Engineering
- Vehicle design: Schaeffler Technologies & ABT Sportsline
- Motor and gearbox efficiency of approx. 95 percent under full-load conditions
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.