It was announced today that the Tesla Model X won the Golden Steering Wheel 2016 award given by a jury composed of “professional race car drivers, accomplished technicians, editors, designers, and digital and connectivity experts,” who spent three days judging the all-electric SUV.
For the occasion, Tesla decided to highlight all the things the company improved on the vehicle since releasing it last year – whether it was through software updates or hardware improvements.
In the announcement, Tesla says that they delivered “nearly 20,000” Model X SUVs since the launch in September 2015:
“As a result of this continuous improvement, Model X owners have seen a 92% reduction in reliability concerns over the past year. Nearly 20,000 owners are now experiencing the quickest, smartest, and safest SUV ever, with more than 90% of owners saying they would buy Model X again.”
Here are some of the ways Model X has gotten better with time:
Falcon Wing Doors
- 2x improvement in door sensor object detection
- 25% improvement in opening/closing speed
- Dynamic profile adjustment to indoor mode when roof sensor detects a low ceiling
- 83% reduction in customer-reported issues with door opening/closing
Powered front doors and remote keyless entry
- Refined keyfob detection for smart automatic front door behavior as you approach, enter, or leave the car
- 8x improvement in keyfob battery life; automated alert from the car if the battery gets low
- Several improvements to power front door movement and latching system, leading to 51% reduction in door issues and improved performance on hills
- Wind noise customer-reported issues reduced by 22% with a combination of hardware modifications and fit/finish improvements
Interior Temperature Management
- Introduced Cabin Overheat Protection by managing the maximum interior temperature of Model X through software
- Improved HVAC performance by increasing maximum fan speed with an over-the-air software update
Second row seats
- Multiple over-the-air updates have enhanced seat motion, obstacle detection, pitch calibration, and usability
- Software enhancements have added intelligent behaviors between seats, adjusting spacing differently, for example, depending on which rows are occupied
- Touchscreen and Bluetooth connectivity improvements via over-the-air software update
- Largest user interface overhaul since the launch of Model S in over-the-air Software 8.0 rollout
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.