German automaker BMW is set to introduce 2 new plug-in hybrids at the Frankfurt Motor Show which runs from the 17th to 27th of September. The 2 new models , BMW 225xe and BMW 330e, are based on the automaker’s Series 2 and Series 3, but with BMW’s eDrive powertrain technology.
BMW’s eDrive technology allows the driver to switch between being entirely powered by the battery pack, and being powered by the three-cylinder combustion engine for the 225xe, or four-cylinder engine in the case of the 330e .
BMW claims a range of 25 miles on all-electric for both vehicles. After the battery (7.6 kWh) is depleted, the combustion engine kicks in for a total range of 373 miles on a full tank of gas.
BMW 225xe Bullet-points
- Combination of BMW eDrive and three-cylinder combustion engine enables convincing performance and efficient energy utilisation.
- Three-cylinder combustion engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and 100 kW/136 hp. Electric motor developing 65 kW/88 hp, total system output: 165 kW/224 hp, peak torque: 385 Nm / 284 lb-ft. (Fuel consumption combined: 2.1–2.0 l/100 km [134.5–141.2 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 49–46 g/km)*.
- Acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.7 seconds, top speed: 202 km/h (126 mph).
- Operating range on electric power: up to 41 kilometres (25 miles).
- Top speed on electric power: 125 km/h (78 mph).
BMW 330e Bullet-points
- Four-cylinder combustion engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and 135 kW/184 hp. Electric motor develops 65 kW/88 hp. System output: 185 kW/252 hp, peak torque: 420 Nm / 310 lb-ft (fuel consumption combined: 2.1–1.9 l/100 km [134.5–148.7 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 49–44 g/km)*.
- BMW eDrive offers a constant 100 Nm / 74 lb-ft of boost and can also deliver brief bursts of up to 250 Nm / 184 lb-ft.
- Acceleration of 0–100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.1 seconds, top speed: 225 km/h (140 mph).
- All-electric top speed: 120 km/h (75 mph).
- All-electric range: up to 40 kilometres (25 miles).
- Range in everyday driving conditions: up to 600 kilometres (373 miles).
- Capacity of high-voltage battery: 7.6 kWh.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.
Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe to the podcast.