The Fremont Police department has released a report on its use of a Tesla Model S as a police patrol vehicle, and they said the electric car passed the test.
The electric car has saved them $4,000 in fuel cost in a year.
In 2018, Fremont’s police department bought a used 2014 Tesla Model S 85 for $61,478.50 (including taxes and fees) to replace a 2007 Dodge Charger that was being retired in their fleet.
Their goal was to turn it into a police patrol car to see if the electric car fits the needs of a patrol vehicle and cut gas costs.
It went through their regular police patrol testing and was put on the road last year.
After being on the road for more than a year now, the Fremont police department has released a full report on their experience with the Model S, which they deemed successful.
Here are some of the key findings from the report:
- Proved sustainable with zero-emissions, eliminating 42,198 lbs. of CO2 from Fremont air annually
- Annual costs of energy/fuel and maintenance/repair was reduced by $2,147 vs. a gas Ford police pursuit vehicle (PPV)
- Reduced the annual cost of fuel that would have been required for a traditional gas-powered police vehicle by $4,097
- Remained in service 27 more days than a conventional PPV, resulting in a significant reduction in repairs, maintenance, and downtime
- The 265-mile range of the Tesla easily accommodated the 40-70 mile range that patrol vehicles drive on average per day
Here’s a comparison between the Tesla Model S and a Ford gas-powered police patrol vehicle:
|Factors||2014 Tesla Model S 85||Gas Ford PPV|
|Standard Equipment Build Cost||$35,000*||$35,000|
|Modifications Above/Beyond Standard Equipment Build Cost||$6,774.48*||$0|
|OEM Range||265 miles (85kWh battery)||344 miles (18.6 tank cap)|
|Actual Annual Energy/Avg. Annual Fuel Cost||$1,036|
Cost of energy consumed
Calculated assuming $3.00 per gallon
|Avg. Annual Repair/Maintenance Cost||$4,865||$2,915|
|Actual Annual Costs of Energy/Avg. Fuel and Maintenance/Repair Costs||$5,901||$8,048|
|Avg. Annual Maintenance Downtime||39.125 Days (10.72%)||66 days (17.98%)|
|Avg. Annual Operational |
|0 lbs.||42,198 lbs.|
*Some costs were donated as part of the Pilot Program.
Here’s the report in full:
[scribd id=485032185 key=key-AZ5MQxkNlWaBeOQ3A9b7 mode=scroll]
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.