Well, it looks like Elon Musk has officially lost it and he is adding ‘arms dealer’ to his long list of occupations. After joking about raising money for his new startup, the Boring Company, through selling hats, Musk said that their next product (before actual tunnels and electric transportation systems) will be flamethrowers.
Now it looks like he actually did it.
Home Solar Power
On Instagram and Twitter tonight, Musk unveiled the Boring Company-branded flamethrower.
While it sounds like a joke, the company is currently accepting $500 payment for pre-ordering the device on their website, which leads us to believe that it is actually happening.
They didn’t release any feature other than claiming it is “guaranteed to liven up any party” and the “world’s safest flamethrower.”
Aside from the image on the website seen above, Musk also released the following video of the flamethrower in action on Instagram:
In the US, Musk says that the ATF allows the sale of a flamethrower with shorter than 10 ft of range.
But in a short list of points about the new device on their website, the Boring Company did mention potential complications with international orders:
- Fire extinguisher sold separately (for exorbitant amounts of money)
- Taxes and shipping will be added at checkout
- Additional customs fees may apply for international orders because of laws
- International customers can receive a full refund if not happy with said fees
- Before shipping, aspiring flamethrower aficionados will be sent a terms and conditions rhyme for review and acceptance
- Starts shipping in spring
- May not be used on Boring Company decorative lacquered hay bales or Boring Company dockside munitions warehouses
Musk was clearly joking about selling hats to finance the Boring Company since they are working on multi-million dollar projects and even though selling 50,000 hats is impressive, it still only amounts to $1 million.
But now he is adding $500 flamethrowers to the mix?
I am pretty excited by what the Boring Company can do to alleviate traffic and increase electric transportation, but I am not sure where he is going with this. I’d love to hear your opinion. Let us know in the comment section below.
I just don’t see a way where this doesn’t end badly.