Along with its EV infrastructure expansion plans, E.ON also showcased a few new interesting electric vehicle projects last week, including the debut of the Tachyon Speed: an electric hypercar with a mind-boggling 1,250 horsepower output.
The car is built by a California-based startup called ‘Rice Advanced Engineering Systems and Research’ (RAESR).
The company plans to offer design and engineering services for electric powertrain and battery packs to other companies and in order to showcase their talent, they built the ‘Tachyon Speed’.
Chris Khoury, RAESR’s Director of R&D, said:
“We wanted to build the most extreme electric car. We decided to go with the tandem seater for the jet fighter look. Part of it was an aerodynamic endeavor – reducing the frontal area by having a narrower canopy.”
It certainly results in something we have never seen in an electric car:
It is powered by 6 electric motors delivering 1,250+ hp and 3,650 lbs/ft of torque, according to the startup.
With the powertrain being geared toward performance like that, it affects the range, which the company says is good for about 150 miles on a single charge – thought they specify that it’s only “city driving”.
Here’s the video the E.ON produced to debut the vehicle:
On its website, RAESR is talking about making a limited production of the Tachyon Speed, but again it looks more like a project to showcase their EV engineering capabilities.
Here are a few specs of the Tachyon Speed:
1250+ HORSEPOWER, 3650 LBS/FT OF TORQUE (6 DIRECT DRIVE MOTORS)
- PRE-PREG CARBON FIBER BODYWORK
- ABS & CARBON CERAMIC BRAKES
- USER ADJUSTABLE ACTIVE AERO REAR WINGS
- 4 FRONT WINGS (NON-ADJUSTABLE)
- FRONT SPLITTER & REAR DIFFUSER
- COMPUTATIONAL FLUID DYNAMIC (CFD) RESULTS
- .39 COEFFICIENT OF DRAG
- FRONTAL AREA 17.75 SQ FT
- DOWNFORCE AT 150MPH
- 400 LBS IN LOW DOWNFORCE SETTING
- 1000+ POUNDS IN HIGH DOWNFORCE SETTING
- ADJUSTABLE TRACTION CONTROL
- VARIOUS IN-HOUSE 3D PRINTED PARTS USING AEROSPACE GRADE POLYCARBONATE AND NYLON
532VDC, 2650 AMP BATTERY, PRODUCING 1.4 MEGAWATTS PEAK POWER
- CITY DRIVING RANGE OF 150+ MILES
- USER VARIABLE RIDE HEIGHT WITH STREET MODE AND TRACK MODE (LOWERS 1.5″)
- ADVANCED AWD TORQUE VECTORING
- CHROMIUM MOLYBDENUM (CHROMOLY) TUBE FRAME
- INTERIOR TUB – KEVLAR
- WEIGHT & DIMENSIONS
- HEIGHT- 40.5″ WIDTH – 80.5″ LENGTH – 195″ DRY WEIGHT – 2950LBS
- ESTIMATED PERFORMANCE
- 0-60 – UNDER 3.0 SECONDS
- 0-120 – UNDER 7.0 SECONDS
- 1/4 MILE – UNDER 10.0 SECONDS
- TOP SPEED – 240+
- LAT ACCELERATION – LOW SPEED: 1.25GS
- HIGH SPEED – 2GS PLUS
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.
Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe to the podcast.