In this week’s top stories: Tesla Model 3 prototype sightings and new details, GM delays its Chevy Bolt EV rollout into 2017, the latest solar and energy news, and much more.
We kick things off with a few rare sightings of Model 3 prototypes that you might have missed, and we get new details on the upcoming vehicle’s battery and new ‘free long-distance charging’ teased by Elon Musk this week.
A new law means all electric vehicles in the U.S. will need to emit a sound at up to 19 mph to protect pedestrians starting in 2019, and we give you the details on how Tesla might have a nuanced solution to the problem.
GM officially gives up on a nationwide launch of the Chevy Bolt EV as it commits to a ‘slow’ rollout for next year. A French oil company announces the installation of solar panels at 5,000 gas stations. And Tesla demoes its new self-driving tech in this week’s top video.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below:
- Tesla Model 3: rare sightings of prototypes that you might have missed
- Tesla Model 3’s battery will be 30% more energy dense than the Model S’ original pack
- Tesla owners making $923 average by renting car 7 days a month on Turo
- Tesla might have a nuanced solution to noise pollution after new ‘quiet car’ rule
- Elon Musk says Tesla Model 3 will include ‘free long-distance charging’
- Elon Musk gives private showing of Tesla Model 3 to Korean Energy Minister
EV | Autonomous |
- GM gives up on nationwide launch of Chevy Bolt EV, commits to ‘slow’ ramp in 2017
- Chevy Bolt wins Motor Trend’s ‘Car of the Year’ award, Tesla Model S and X both finalists
- All electric cars will need to emit sound at up to 19 mph to protect pedestrians in 2019
- Tesla Autopilot significantly improved pedestrian detection in v8, now renders humans
- Lucid Motors releases first complete picture of its all-electric sedan – though still camoed
- Jaguar reveals new “I-PACE” all-electric SUV, looks like an F-Pace plus a little bit of Tron
Solar | Energy |
- Tesla’s solar roof to cost less than a regular roof – even before energy production
- Oil company announces installation of solar panels at 5,000 gas stations
- Tesla slashes price of the Powerpack system by another 10% with new generation
- Tesla is acquiring part of an interesting startup trying to light up Africa through its SolarCity acquisition
This week’s top videos |
- Tesla releases new self-driving demonstration video with real-time ‘Tesla Vision’ feed
- Tesla Model S P85D’s instant acceleration helped save owner from a crash [Video]
Subscribe to get all Electrek’s stories delivered to your inbox daily, or follow us on Twitter & Facebook for up-to-the-minute updates.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.
Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe to the podcast.