Tesla hid some pretty fun easter eggs in its vehicles over the years, including a Mario Kart animation and a James Bond amphibian car, but none of them actually delivered more performance to its vehicles.
CEO Elon Musk is now hinting that Tesla’s next easter egg will “uncorks the full performance” of the recently released Tesla Model S and X P100D Ludicrous.
Home Solar Power
The performance of the Model S and Model X with the new 100 kWh battery pack and ‘Ludicrous upgrade’ are already unmatched for production cars:
- Range: 315 miles (EPA Estimate) / 613 km (NEDC Estimate)
- 0-60 mph acceleration: 2.5 seconds
- 0-100 km/h acceleration: 2.7 seconds
- Range: 289 miles (EPA Estimate) / 542 km (NEDC Estimate)
- 0-60 mph acceleration: 2.9 seconds
- 0-100 km/h acceleration: 3.1 seconds
Some speculated that Tesla could get more out of the new battery pack with some tuning through software upgrades and Musk appears to be teasing exactly that today:
When someone questioned the potential for more power in the car, Musk responded:
It sounds like a reference to a scene in the movie Princess Bride during which Dread Pirate Roberts and Inigo each fight with their left-hand until they both reveal that it’s not their strong hand:
It looks like the easter egg could activate a shift of the Ludicrous mode to its virtual strong hand and increase the P100D’s performance.
Tesla’s easter eggs, like most easter eggs, have also mostly been linked to pop-culture and the reference to Princess Bride could be a hint of what Tesla owners need to do to activate it. Though it sounds like it’s not in the current software so need to press all the controls just yet.
We should wait for the next update, but in the meantime, it could be useful to revisit some of Tesla’s past easter eggs in order to get a better idea of what could be needed to unlock the next one:
- Tesla’s new ‘Easter Egg’ makes a rainbow out of your charge port [Video]
- Tesla’s latest update turns the road into Mario Kart-style rainbows [Easter Egg Video]
- Tesla hid a The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Easter Egg in its Autopilot software release
- Tesla Model S Ludicrous Mode has a Space Balls Easter Egg
- Best Easter Egg ever? Tesla Model S control panel shows James Bond’s (now Elon Musk’s) Underwater Lotus