As promised by Elon Musk last week, Tesla started rolling out the update last night and now we get every single detail of what the automaker is describing as “the biggest update since the introduction of the Model S”.
We already revealed all the main features, but you still have some interesting tidbits of information about how to use them with Tesla’s release notes, which act as a quick instruction manual.
Here are some of the details released by Tesla today:
Tesla software update 8.0 revamps interface, enhances owner experience & safety for all vehiclesTesla makes the only cars on the road that continue to get safer, smarter, and more capable over time, thanks to free, over-the-air software updates. While traditional cars have static features, a Tesla is more akin to a smartphone, adding new functionality and enhancements throughout the life of the car.Software update 8.0 kicks off a significant over-the-air overhaul of the Tesla touchscreen and introduces the biggest UI revamp since the launch of Model S. Customers who purchased their car in 2012 will receive the same value of functionality and improvement as customers who purchased vehicles last month. 8.0 combines a modern look with updates to Autopilot, Navigation with Trip Planner, Maps, and the Media Player for a safer, more advanced driving experience. In an industry-first safety measure, we’re also introducing Cabin Overheat Protection, focused on child (and pet) safety. This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature, even when the car is off, and is made possible by our uniquely large battery packs.Intuitive media playerThe media player has been redesigned and personalized to put your favorite content front and center. Search is now simpler to access and more powerful, accessing streaming radio, live stations, podcasts, and any USB device to help you quickly find what they’re looking for.Voice commandsVoice controls are now easier and clearer to use. Initiation is quick, and clear visual feedback lets you focus on the road without compromising convenience or control.
- Voice commands initiate with a single tap
- Feedback in the form of a transcript now appears on the instrument panel to confirm your command
- Visual tips remind you what commands are availableMaps and navigationMaps have been updated to span the entire touchscreen, displaying the most important details of your trip. The control bar fades automatically for an uncluttered navigation experience.
- Search for destinations with a single touch or voice command
- Zoom adjusts based on location to display what you need to see most
- Navigate to home or work with a single swipe.
- When at home, swipe the navigation button down in the Maps app and navigation will automatically route you to work. When away from home, swipe down and navigation will route back.Cabin Overheat ProtectionIn an industry-first safety measure, we’re also introducing Cabin Overheat Protect, focused on child (and pet) safety. This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature for hours, even when the car is off. This feature is only made possible by an electric vehicle with Tesla’s uniquely large battery packs.Trip PlannerTrip Planner provides a clear overview of your journey before you leave, with maps that zoom out to show your entire route. Putting your Tesla into Drive automatically starts navigation to your first waypoint.Autopilot EnhancementsAdvancements in signal processing use the Tesla’s onboard radar to persistently capture snapshots of its surroundings, creating a 3D picture of the world. Learn more about seeing the world in radar.Displays now show angled vehicles as they enter a curve and the Autosteer indicator has been updated to more clearly indicate when Autosteer is engaged. We won’t list all 200 improvements to Autopilot in 8.0, but here are a few additions:
- Autopilot has been tuned to be more responsive and smoother in stop-and-go traffic
- Enhanced safety requirement which disables Autosteer during trip when safety warnings are ignored
- Autosteer now navigates highway interchanges
- Redesigned Autopilot indicators
- Curve speed adaptation now uses fleet-learned roadway curvature
- Autopilot now controls for two cars ahead improving reaction time to otherwise-invisible heavy braking events
- Car offsets in lane when overtaking a slower vehicle driving close to its lane edge
Friend of the site, 110110, shared an album of the full release notes for 8.0, which you can read below.
Earlier this week, we share a PSA called: “how to get access to the Tesla v8.0 software update in your car faster” – you can try the tricks if you still haven’t received the update yet.
Here are the release notes: