This is my exact reason for starting this site.
Redditor AFDIT gives a good overview overview of the talk above:
- Disruption = a new market / complete take over of an old one.
- You can’t compete with the performance.
- Costs for batteries / EVs keep coming down. Gigafactory etc will bring EV prices to mid-range car levels by 2017, to low cost car prices by 2020. By 2030 there will be no non-EVs being manufactured. Petrol will no longer be produced by 2030.
- Self-driving cars around the corner. Also has ever-reducing prices as with EVs. Market is ready for them (poll in the ground). Will use “unused road space on the highways”.
- As-A-Service cars will be driving themselves 99% of the time. Projection is that manufacturers will reduce sales by 80% as there will be fewer cars necessary. Car parking will no longer be needed. This will lead to city re-designs.
- Cost has dropped from $100W to $65W. This helped cause installation growth at 100x between 2000 & 2013 (43% per year). Projection at this rate shows all global energy produced by Solar by 2030.
- Relative to Oil Solar has “increased it’s position” 5300x
- “Grid cost convergence” will beat all other fuel costs by ~2017.
Tony Seba, author of “Clean Disruption” gives the keynote address at the AltCars Expo and Conference,Sept 19, 2014.The keynote is titled “Clean Disruption: 100% electric transportation and 100% solar power by 2030″.
The book ‘Clean Disruption’ and this keynote assert that by 2030: • All new mass-market vehicles will be electric. • All of these vehicles will be autonomous (self-driving). • Up to 80 per cent of parking spaces and highways will be redundant. • Taxis as we know them will be obsolete. • The concept of car ownership will be obsolete. • Oil will be obsolete • All new energy will be provided by solar (and wind)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.
Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe to the podcast.