Kia is skipping a year and unveiling its 2020 Soul EV at the 2018 LA Auto Show. It is a stunner.
The automaker’s flagship electric vehicle is adding the same 64 kWh battery pack found in the Niro EV and Hyundai Kona to push the range of the Soul EV to over ~200 miles.
Kia didn’t want to confirm the actual range with the new battery pack and instead said that it would “vary based on the conditions”, but it is likely going to be over 200 miles based on an EPA cycle. It is the same battery/motor combo that nets the Hyundai Kona 258 miles.
It should easily double the current usable range of the current version.
The battery pack is not the only update coming to the 2020 Kia Soul EV.
It’s also getting a new 201-horsepower electric motor with 291 lb.-ft. of torque and the Combined Charging System (CCS) DC fast-charge is becoming standard equipment on the vehicle. Previous models had CHAdeMO which isn’t a great sign for the Japanese-led standard.
Kia told us that it would charge at around 100kW for at least the first 50 percent of charge. It should have similar charge characteristics as the Niro and Kona.
In terms of design, it’s also getting a slight update with a refreshed fascia and rear bumper. We spent some time in LA looking at the example they showed and it was indeed a nice looking car. It will also be available in a range of bright colors including the green pictured, orange, and a few 2-tone varieties.
Here are some photos we grabbed from the LA auto show floor:
Here are a few press images released today:
The vehicle is expected to enter production during the second half of next year for the model year 2020.
Like the current version, its availability is expected to be limited to CARB states even though this doesn’t feel like a compliance vehicle and is the fastest Soul announced today.
Here’s the full press release from Kia:
ALL-NEW 2020 KIA SOUL EV COMBINES SOUL-FUL VIBE WITH ALL-ELECTRIC BUZZ
Super Cool and Electric Too
- Next-generation uber-popular urban runabout again available with battery-only power
- Powered by a state-of-the-art liquid-cooled lithium ion polymer 64 kWh battery
- Combined Charging System (CCS) DC fast-charge is standard equipment1
- 201-horsepower electric motor with 291 lb.-ft. of torque
LOS ANGELES, November 28, 2018 – Today Kia Motors America (KMA) introduced the 2020 Soul, a completely new version of Kia’s beloved, award-winning and unconventional compact utility vehicle. In conjunction with that world-debut, the all-electric, battery-powered Soul EV was also unveiled. Just as quirky, fun-loving and crowd-pleasing, the Soul EV provides the opportunity for lovers of the Soul to drive without ever stopping for gas. A Much Better Battery The new Soul EV has a new state-of-the-art liquid-cooled lithium ion polymer 64 kWh battery which is expected to mean much less need for daily charging, and with Combined Charging System (CCS) DC fast-charge2 as standard equipment, battery refills should be brief so road trip fun can happily continue after only a short break.
The new battery is currently being tested to ascertain precise EPA-estimated range. Results are expected early in 2019 and will be announced at a later date.
Driving Dynamics – The Soul EV is More Fun Than Ever The Soul EV has always provided a bit of a magic carpet ride, whisking along silently with seemingly effortless pull. Now, with 201 horsepower and 291 lb.-ft. of torque (way up from 210 lb.-ft. in the outgoing model), drivers will feel like a virtual Aladdin. Handling and driving dynamics are also much improved, thanks to the addition of independent rear suspension. The new Soul EV also provides plenty of tools for drivers to customize their driving experience and their battery usage, including:
- Four drive modes – Eco, Comfort, Sport and Eco+ – that automatically adjust power output to the traction motor, regenerative braking, air conditioning and heating settings, and set speed limits to help manage operating efficiency3 depending on driving conditions
- Smart regenerative braking operated via paddle shifters provides drivers the ability to slow the car and capture kinetic energy, adding extra range. Drivers can choose from four regen braking levels (0 to 3) depending on desired driving smoothness, enjoyment and efficiency
- Brake and Hold System feature allows regen paddle shifter to bring the car to a full stop4
- Smart Regen System adjusts the regenerative braking level based on a vehicle being detected in front of the Soul EV and creates smoother coast-down driving, especially when descending a steep road5
- Smart Eco Pedal Guide display on the instrument cluster keeps the driver aware of real-time battery usage based on accelerator pedal input
HIGHLIGHT –SOUL AND SOUL EV– WHAT’S THE DIFF?
The 2020 Soul is all-new with a refreshed exterior that stays true to its boxy origins – a distinctive look beloved by legions of fans. The new Soul EV is built with the same architecture, but imbued with unique styling that provides the car a flair of its own:
- Restyled front and rear bumper fascias
- Solid front grille insert with charging door conveniently located on driver’s side
- LED headlamps strikingly integrated into upper cross-car brow
- Unique fog lamps
- Exclusive EV five-spoke 17-inch alloy wheels
Technology Befitting a Thoroughly Modern Vehicle The Soul EV comes equipped with a long list of state-of-the-art features to help enhance safety, improve the driving experience and provide ease of operation and ownership. Kia engineers and designers have thought of everything. Every Soul EV includes a suite of “Kia Drive Wise” Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems, and a long list of standard and optional equipment, highlights of which are listed below.
- High-tech rotary shifter (shift-by-wire)
- 10.25-inch color touchscreen6 with rear view monitor7 and parking guidance
- 6-speaker audio system (AM/FM/SiriusXM)8 with USB input
- Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
- Apple CarPlay9 and Android Auto10
- Bluetooth11 wireless connectivity with voice recognition
- 7 airbags12 (dual front advanced air bags, dual front seat-mounted side air bags, side curtain air bags with rollover sensor, driver’s side knee air bag)
- Vehicle Safety Systems13
- Antilock braking
- Traction control
- Electronic stability control
- Hill-start assist control
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Pedestrian warning system
- “Kia Drive Wise” Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS)14
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)15
- Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go
- Blind Spot Collision Warning (BSW) (available)
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning (available)
- Parking Distance Warning – Reverse only (available)
New for Soul EV is a revamped UVO16 telematics system that allows owners to monitor and control a long list of vehicle operations, including:
- Notifications of battery and charging status
- Real-time charging station update
- Scheduled charging
- Panic notifications – the vehicle will send a notification to the server if the panic alarm is triggered and the system dials 911 emergency services, provides the car position via GPS, and opens a live microphone so that emergency workers can communicate with the vehicle occupants
- “Send2Car” points of interest (POI) and waypoints — owners will be able to plan a road trip with waypoints and send it to the vehicles’ navigation system
Made in Korea and One Soul with a Whole Lot More Built at the Gwangju plant in Korea, the Soul EV is expected to go on sale next year. Pricing will be announced closer to the on-sale date. Buyers can choose from two trims, the Soul EV and the Soul EV Designer Collection. Supporting its super-fancy sounding name, the Designer Collection model gets all the Soul EV goodies, plus a whole lot more, including:
- Two-tone paint: Gravity Grey with a Platinum Gold roof; Cherry Black with an Inferno Red roof; and Neptune Blue with a Cherry Black roof
- Power-folding gloss-black heated, power-adjustable outside mirrors with signal repeater
- 10-speaker Harman/Kardon17 premium audio with external amplifier
- Wireless phone charger18
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Heated front seats with SofinoÒ premium non-animal seating upholstery
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror