Utah-based company Vanderhall Motor is showcasing its new all-electric three-wheeler with ‘over 200 miles of range’ at CES in Las Vegas this week.
Vanderhall Motor usually uses a 1.4L turbocharged GM four-cylinder engine in its three-wheelers, but it will use dual AC motors and a 30 kWh lithium-ion battery pack for its first all-electric vehicle.
Marketing Director Daniel Boyer commented on their new electric vehicle offering:
“EVs have amazing performance advantages. Offering an electric powertrain is in line with Vanderhall’s focus on innovative, effortless performance. Our Venice model is already incredibly nimble, and the Edison2 is the quickest Vanderhall we have ever produced.”
The new vehicle is called Edison2, which is of course a tribute to Thomas Edison – though the company is also tipping its hat to Henry Ford by offering to paint the vehicle any color the customer wants — so long as it is black.
Here’s the vehicle, which will be displayed at CES Tech West in the Sands, Hall A, #40524 this week:
In a press release, the company says that the vehicle will have base MSRP of $34,950. They are starting pre-orders now and they expect to start deliveries as soon as Q2 2018.
Here are all the specs:
- Make: Vanderhall
- Model: Edison2
- Seats: 2
- Body Construction: Composite
- Exterior Color: Metallic Black
- Model Year: 2018
- Place of Manufacture: Provo, Utah
- Convenience: Heated seats, dual-vent heating system
- Safety: ABS, traction control, brake assist, steering assist, roll bar
- Interior Material: Black V-Tex synthetic upholstery
- Audio: Bluetooth-connectable 600-watt sound system
- Lighting: LED (headlights, turn signals, brake lights)
- Type: AC induction motor, 30 kWh lithium-ion battery
- Horsepower: 180
- Torque: 240 lb-ft
- Max. Range: Greater than 200 miles
- Charging: Type 2 EV plug or standard 110-volt household
- Drive: FWD
- 0-60 mph: 4.0 seconds
- Top Speed: 105 mph
- Lateral Cornering Stability: .95
- Suspension, Front: Pushrod, coil-over hydraulic shocks (Vanderhall)
- Suspension, Rear: Single-sided swingarm, coil-over hydraulic shock (Vanderhall)
- Brake Calipers: Single-piston Brembo
- Brake Rotors: 330mm cross-drilled, ventilated
- Steering: GM rack-and-pinion, electronic assist
- Bodywork Designer: Vanderhall Design
- Base Platform: Vanderhall Mono Aluminum
- Bodywork Material: Composite
- Cargo Capacity: 2,400 cu. in.
DIMENSIONS, WEIGHTS & CAPACITIES
- Length: 144 in.
- Overall Width: 71 in.
- Track, Front: 60 in.
- Height: 44 in.
- Wheelbase: 100.4 in.
- Weight Distribution: 70/30
- Ground Clearance: 4.5 in.
- Curb Weight: 1,400 lbs.
- Load capacity: 500 lbs.
It looks like an electric vehicle with some significant power for its weight. I bet it’s a blast to drive. Please give me a test drive Vanderhall.
We have seen several new all-electric three-wheelers coming to market, like the Morgan EV3 and Electra Meccanica’s Solo, but it looks like Vanderhall is positioning the Edison2 between those two vehicles in terms of price and performance.
What do you think? Let us know in the comment section below.
Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe the podcast.