In March, Tesla launched a fan-made commercial competition for people to submit <90-second videos promoting Tesla. The submissions will be judged by Tesla employees who will choose 10 winners based on “originality, creativity, relevance to Tesla and its mission, and entertainment value.”
Update: Tesla announced that it is extending the deadline to next month
We look at a few entries before it closes
after this weekend next month .
Tesla listed guidelines for the submissions:
- Submissions must be submitted via the online Entry Form
- Submissions must comply with these Terms and Conditions
- Videos must be no longer than 90 seconds
- Videos must relate to Tesla, SolarCity, our products, or our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy
- Videos hosted on third-party social media platforms must comply with that platform’s Terms of Service
- Videos must be approved for all ages; i.e., it cannot contain violence, nudity, or inappropriate language or behavior
- Any text or voice-overs in the videos must be in English
- Submissions must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including, but not limited to, privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights
- Submissions must not in any way mention, refer or otherwise allude to the name, logo or trademark of any entity, individual, product or brand other than those of Tesla and its brands
- Submissions must not contain material that is not the original work of the Entrant
Those are pretty standards for actual TV spots, but we have seen several submissions using stock images that wouldn’t comply to the last requirement.
James Green put together a playlist of 44 submissions posted to Youtube, but some of them appear to not comply to the guidelines:
Tesla will feature the top 10 on their social media account and a “Grand Prize Winner” will be invited to and introduced at a future Tesla product launch event with travel and expenses paid.
Let us know which ones are your favorites in the comment section below.
Green also made a useful playlist of Tesla fan-made commercials that predate the competition: