Peugeot and the rest of the PSA Group don’t have many all-electric vehicles on the market, but they plan to change that in the next few years starting with the unveiling of a new all-electric version of the 208 hatch.
With the unveiling of the new 208 today, Peugeot is also releasing an all-electric version alongside the petrol and diesel versions of the vehicle to be available at the same time during the launch this autumn.
The e-208 version is equipped with a 100 kW (136 hp), 260 Nm of torque, electric motor and a 50 kWh battery pack, which Peugeot claims is good for 340 km of range (211 miles) based on the WLTP standard.
In terms of charging, Peugeot says that it can DC fast-charge at 100 kW on capable public stations and it can charge at up to 11 kW on its onboard charger for level 2 charging stations.
The French automaker says that the e-208 has the same interior and cargo space as the fossil fuel versions.
It is equipped with two screens: one touchscreen for the center display and an instrument cluster:
They haven’t released pricing yet, but the gas-powered version starts at around 16,000 euros.
Here’s the full press release about the electric version:
New PEUGEOT e-208 offers a lively, stimulating driving experience with its 100% electric engine, available from launch:
- 100 KW (136 bhp) electric engine developing 260 Nm of torque (available from 0 km/h) for instant reactivity,
- silent engine, zero vibration,
- technology display on central screen (real-time drive train functional display).
New PEUGEOT e-208 proposes three drive modes:
- Eco: to optimise range
- Normal: optimum comfort for everyday use
- Sport: priority is given to performance and sensations, maximum power and torque (0 to 100 km/h in 8.1s).
Two braking modes are also available via the gear lever with appropriate battery regeneration:
- Moderate, providing a sensation close to that felt when braking with a combustion engine,
- Augmented, for controlled deceleration by means of the accelerator pedal.
New PEUGEOT e-208 offers the best thermal comfort on the market with:
- a high-power heater element (5 kW) powered by the HV battery,
- a heat pump and automatic temperature control in the passenger compartment, providing the same comfort standard as in a vehicle powered by a combustion engine. Vehicle range is preserved due to improved power efficiency compared to conventional climate control,
- heated seats (according to version),
- programmable thermal pre-conditioning, controlled from touch screen or remotely by the MyPeugeot® smartphone application. Besides comfort, this function allows vehicle range optimisation (the set temperature is reached more rapidly during start phases) and enables the optimum battery functional temperature to be attained sooner.
Interior and boot-space are identical to the ICE version. The batteries, which take up a volume of 220L, are distributed under the floor pan in new PEUGEOT 208.
Hallmark of the PEUGEOT brand, new PEUGEOT e-208’s running gear has been optimised and specific technical solutions have been applied (optimum mass distribution). This enables new PEUGEOT e-208 to achieve dynamic performances on a par with the combustion engine version.
New PEUGEOT e-208 is fitted with a 50 kWh large-capacity battery enablinga vehicle range of up to 340 km, according to the WLTP (Worldwide harmonised Light vehicles Test Procedures) certification protocol and 450 km according to NEDC (New European Driving Cycle). Linked to the passenger compartment cooling system, fluid-cooled temperature control enables fast recharging, optimised range and increased life-span. This battery is guaranteed for 8 years or 160 000 km for 70% of its charge capacity.
Charging modes are flexible and adapted to everyday use. Three charge modes are possible:
- using a conventional domestic socket or for a full charge in 16 hours, using a heavy-duty Legrand® Green Up™ socket, supplied complete with charging cable,
- from a Wall Box, providing a full charge in 5 hours 15 minutes for the three-phase version (11 kW) or in 8 hours for mono-phase (7.4 kW),
- using a dedicated public charging terminal: battery thermal regulation permits the use of 100 kW chargers, 80% of the charge being reached in 30 minutes.
New PEUGEOT e-208 can also be remotely charged if programmed via the Connected Navigation screen or using the MyPeugeot® smartphone application. This system also enables you to start or stop charging at any time and allows you to check the charge status.
To support its customers in the energy transition, PEUGEOT is launching a new service offering, in parallel to new PEUGEOT e-208 marketing operations, based on three keystones:
- Easy-Charge or how to facilitate access to the different charging solutions for our customers:
- A range of at-home or office charging solutions with a broad choice of equipment (heavy-duty socket, Wallbox, Smart Wallbox, etc.), a diagnostic service to assess the electric installation and plan for a better charging solution and final installation,
- A public charge offering via Free2Move Services, including a charge pass giving access to over 85,000 charging points in Europe : pre-selection of terminals according to distance, speed and price of recharging. The connected navigation takes care of the guidance to the chosen terminal.
- Easy-Moveor how to ensure the mobility of our customers in all circumstances, with:
- Trip planner : a trip planning and organisational tool for long journeys via Free2Move Services ; proposal of the best routes taking into account the residual autonomy and the location of charging stations on the road. Sending the route to Connected Navigation allows to find this route within the vehicle,
- Mobility Pass: extended and guaranteed mobility by means of a pass for a rental vehicle at any time as a function of requirements,
- E-coaching: a tool in the MyPeugeot application that allows to receive advice on how to optimize the driving and the autonomy of new e-208.
- Serenityorhow to reassure our customers in their discovery process and let them enjoy their car in complete peace of mind :
- New digital journey simulators to promote discovery of the electric vehicle world on the PEUGEOT websites,
- Special service contracts and road-side assistance, which may be included in a single finance package, to ensure peace of mind at all times,
- A battery capacity certificate to facilitate vehicle resale with a guarantee of the vehicle’s battery charge capacity.
New PEUGEOT e-208 opens up access to a new form of mobility offering the freedom to drive in town, even in cities where vehicle restrictions are in place.