PSA Group, Peugeot-Citroën, has recently launched the acquisition GM’s European business, including Opel/Vauxhall subsidiary and GM Financial’s European operations, and announced its intention to release more electric vehicles.
As part of the effort today, Citroën announced a new all-electric version of its Berlingo van.
The new electric powertrain consists of a permanent-magnet synchronous electric motor with a 49 kW (67 bhp) output and two small lithium-Ion battery packs with a total capacity of 22.5 kWh located in the subframe, which lowers the car’s center of gravity.
They claim that it will allow for a NEDC-rated range of 170 km (105 miles), but the real-world range is expected to be closer to 120 km (75 miles).
It’s not a lot, but it could be enough for some applications or commute in cities.
Citroën has yet to announce the price of the new all-electric vehicle, but they confirmed that they plan to start production at their Vigo production site as soon as May.
CITROËN E-BERLINGO MULTISPACE: THE LEISURE ACTIVITY VEHICLE GOES ELECTRIC
A benchmark leisure activity vehicle for over 20 years, the Citroën Berlingo has consistently brought modern and practical responses to the expectations of its customers. The new E-Berlingo Multispace keeps all of the car’s practicality, liveability and modular design and adds the efficiency and driving pleasure of an electric vehicle. With a certified range of 170 km, the new model meets the needs of households and businesses with easy charging access and those attracted to the advantages of electric mobility for a broad range of everyday activities, be they personal or professional. High-volume and versatile, the new E-Berlingo Multispace offers an all-new and comfortable eco-driving experience, setting new standards in peace of mind and relaxation.
The Citroën Berlingo is now available with an electric drivetrain in the form of the E-Berlingo. Supplementing the range of high-performance 3-cylinder PureTech petrol engines and BlueHDi diesel engines, the new model targets motorists looking to combine all the versatility of the Berlingo for their day-to-day use, leisure pursuits and professional activities with the advantages of an electric drivetrain. It keeps all the modular design, spaciousness, comfort and equipment that have made it a long-standing and constantly renewed benchmark in the leisure activity vehicle segment that it created. The new E-Berlingo extends Citroën’s electric vehicle range consisting of the C-ZERO, E-MEHARI and Berlingo LCV, each one responding to specific needs in its respective segment.
01 Electric with no compromises on spaciousness and liveability
The new model’s expressive design and robust feel underscore body styling suggestive of a capacious cabin. The lithium-ion batteries were fitted in the subframe on either side of the rear axle, so the new E-Berlingo keeps all of its cabin and boot volume. The E-Berlingo remains more practical than ever for daily trips, drives with the family, friends and colleagues, and experiencing leisure and professional activities to the full.
– Occupants enjoy outstanding practicality and liveability, making the car particularly appealing. Meeting the needs of “nomads” with a diverse range of modern lifestyles, the E-Berlingo is eminently adaptable and boasts standard-setting modular design. It can transport up to five people and swallow up the largest loads with its flat floor. The seats in row 2, comprising a bench and a side seat or three independent seats, are removable. To adapt to all motoring uses, one or more seats can be removed to make room for voluminous loads. The boot volume is among the best in the category, at 675 litres with five people on board and 3,000 litres with the row 2 seats removed.
– The comfortable and user-friendly cabin has a total 78 litres of open and closed storage spaces.
– Access to the vehicle couldn’t be simpler with two sliding side doors plus a rear tailgate. This last is available with a large-dimension opening window – unique to the segment – that makes loading the boot easier no matter how or where the E-Berlingo is parked.
02 Electric driving pleasure for a leisure activity vehicle
The E-Berlingo is perfect for urban and suburban motorists and professional drivers. The new model combines the practicality of the Berlingo with all the benefits of an electric drivetrain, including eco-responsible and pleasant driving, controlled costs, the possibility of city access regardless of traffic restrictions, and tax and parking advantages. The new E-Berlingo Multispace is equipped with the electrc drivetrain technology presented in 2013 on the electric Berlingo light commercial vehicle that has demonstrated its qualities in numerous professional fleets.
– RANGE: with certified range of 170 km (NEDC norm), the E-Berlingo Multispace is perfectly adapted to consumer uses, with the large majority of Europeans driving under 100 km a day. It is fully in step with its times and brings customers an all-new mobility experience with complete peace of mind.
– DRIVING PLEASURE : the E-Berlingo Multispace has a range of charging modes to make motoring easier for customers. An empty battery can be charged completely via a regular domestic socket (8A to 10A depending on the country) or a secure Green Up socket (14A) in 8.5, 12 or 15 hours depending on the amperage. E-Berlingo is also available with an optional rapid charging mode, charging the battery to 50% of total range in 15 minutes and 80% in 30 minutes. The regular charging flap is located on the rear right wing of the car, while the rapid charge socket takes the place of the fuel flap on the rear left wing.
– EASY USE: the new E-Berlingo Multispace is powered by a compact and high-performance permanent-magnet synchronous electric motor developing 49 kW (67 bhp). The two high-energy density Lithium-Ion battery packs with a capacity of 22.5 kWh are located in the subframe, lowering the car’s centre of gravity and bringing more dynamic stability to this type of body style. With torque of 200 Nm available from the word go, the E-Berlingo Multispace accelerates swiftly and uninterruptedly up to top speed. This performance is enhanced by the use of a full-time single-speed reduction gear, freeing drivers up from gear changing and providing the same ease of use as an automatic gearbox. The car accelerates with no noise or vibrations, for extra travelling comfort.
– ECONOMY IN USE: the new Citroën E-Berlingo Multispace has lower energy costs than a fossil-fuel option and is more economical than an internal-combustion vehicle. The battery comes with an 8-year/100,000-km warranty and the electric drivetrain with a 5-year/50,000-km warranty, whichever comes first. Servicing is every two years or 40,000 km after the first year. The car requires no oil, belt or coolant. The absence of a gearbox and clutch limits the number of components to be monitored, and thanks to the dual energy recovery system on decelerating and braking, the brakes are used less often, which limits wear.
03 Modern technologies for a more serene electric experience
For an even more comfortable experience, the new E-Berlingo Multispace comes with remote-controlled functions via smartphones :
- The E-Berlingo Multispace will be equipped with a thermal preconditioning system, an ingenious innovation that customers can use to heat or cool the interior of their vehicle remotely via their smartphone or tablet. This new function brings drivers and passengers optimal thermal comfort right from the start of the journey.
- The E-Berlingo Multispace provides an innovative eco-driving experience. The highly visible energy consumption and regeneration indicator helps drivers at all times to adopt an economical driving style and optimise range. Drivers are also informed by an auxiliary consumption gage (for the heating and air conditioning), while an onboard computer displays remaining range and average consumption in kWh/100 km. The clear and reliable low-energy alerts make for an utterly serene experience for drivers.
- Drivers can also check battery charge levels remotely.
04 A modern leisure activity vehicle
The new E-Berlingo Multispace features an extensive range of useful and effective equipment for more safety, an easier drive and simplified day-to-day use.
– Standard equipment includes a speed limiter, a direct low tyre pressure monitor, electronic stability control (ESC) combined with hill-start assist, air conditioning, a CD MP3 audio system with kit free hands Bluetooth®, two sliding side doors and a height-adjustable driver’s seat.
– The reversing camera, available as an option, makes parking easier. To further simplify low-speed manoeuvres, the rear park assist system – standard on the second trim level – can be supplemented by front park assist.
– Connected to its times, the E-Berlingo Multispace is equipped with a wide 7-inch tablet integrated seamlessly on the dashboard and always within easy reach and sight. Available as standard on the Shine option, it is used to access the onboard computer and AM/FM radio, play music files on mobile devices, make hands-free calls and control the navigation system.
– The E-Berlingo Multispace features the finest in in-car connectivity, with Bluetooth®, a USB socket, a jack, and the MirrorScreen function. Using a smartphone compatible with Mirrorlink® or Apple CarPlay ®, the MirrorScreen replicates the best mobile apps on the car’s touchscreen so that motorists can enjoy them fully and in complete safety.
– The navigation system, available as an option, also displays speed limits and traffic information, as well as mapping of points of interest, such as charging terminals, that can be reached by the vehicle based on remaining range.
– The new E-Berlingo Multispace will be assembled at the Vigo production site. It will be launched from May according to countries.