As we reported earlier this month, Tesla President Jon McNeill traveled to Hong Kong to lead talks with the local government in order to extend the tax break for electric vehicles which allowed the global city to become one of the world’s biggest per-capita markets for electric cars.
Apparently, the government hasn’t yet agreed on an extension of the tax break and therefore, Tesla launched a local marketing campaign to boost sales in the city before the end of the year.
Home Solar Power
Tesla sent out an email blast to local Tesla owners and fans last week to announce new marketing events like ‘Tesla Night Drive’ to “test drive the Model S at night and to enjoy the after-dark Hong Kong scenery”, or “Tesla Cars and Coffee” event at local Tesla locations.
Additionally, Tesla warned of the upcoming end of the current tax break for vehicles delivered after March 31, 2017:
“The Hong Kong Government is actively working to improve roadside air quality and continues to implement electric vehicles into the public transportation systems. A waiver on the First Registration Tax payment is currently being offered to EVs delivered before March 31, 2017 to promote the adoption of environmentally sustainable options in the region. Order your Tesla by December 31st and take advantage of the waiver today.”
But that’s just one of the many incentives that Tesla offers for a limited time according to the same email blast, Tesla also offers trade-in discounts and insurance discounts for its own custom insurance programs.
The company lists 6 different incentives to order your car in Hong Kong before the end of the year:
- First Registration Tax (FRT) Waiver: Teslas ordered by 31 December 2016 and delivered by 31 March 2017 are eligible for the full waiver of the First Registration Tax (FRT).
- Free Unlimited Use of Supercharging: Teslas ordered by 31 December 2016 and delivered before 31 March 2017 will enjoy unlimited access to supercharging for the life of the vehicle.
- Free 1st Year Annual Service with TVLP: ORIX offers a free first-year annual Service Package (worth HK$3,000) to Tesla owners financing under Tesla Value Loan Program (TVLP) .
- Gasoline Car Trade-In Program: Up to HK$10,000 credit is being offered toward the purchase of a Model S for applicants who trade-in their existing gasoline vehicles. Approved applications by 30 November 2016 can be awarded up to HK$10,000 credit; applications submitted 1-16 December 2016 are eligible for up to HK$ 8,000 credit.
- Special InsureMyTesla Rewards: Eligible customers who order a Model S before 16 December 2016 and take delivery before 31 December 2016 can save up to HK$10,000 toward the purchase of InsureMyTesla, underwritten by AXA.
- Tesla Owner Referral Program: New customers who order a Model S before 15 January 2017 using the referral link of an existing Tesla owner will receive HK$8,800 off the purchase price.
Tesla is currently dominating the Hong Kong electric vehicle market. As of this July, the company has an 80% market share of Hong Kong’s 5,800 EVs.
It will be interesting see how it changes if the government doesn’t extend the EV incentives after the first quarter 2017. Hopefully, it doesn’t end up like another Denmark.