After unveiling its new GE3 all-electric crossover at the 2017 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit earlier this year, China’s GAC Motor is now launching the production version of the vehicle in its home country.
The production specs are fairly impressive for a vehicle of its price range: 150,200 to 173,200 yuan (US$ 22,200 to 25,600).
Here are the production specs announced by the company today as they start selling the new electric vehicle:
- A range of 310km (192.62 miles) with electric power only;
- Ternary lithium battery fast charges to 80 percent in 30 minutes;
- Acceleration from 0-100 km (0-60 miles) within 9.3 seconds, braking distance 12.8 meters (42 feet);
- Peak power: 120 KW (163.2 Horsepower), peak torque at 290 Nm (214 ft-lb) ;
- A flat battery layout that sets benchmark in terms of space, comfort, safety and performance;
- General power consumption 16.6 kwh/100km (16.6 kwh/60 miles);
- Featuring smart car companion Little Trumpchi, T-BOX Internet of Vehicles 3.0 and INJOY smart entertainment system;
- An avant-garde low-poly technology modeling design with low polygon front and rear LED lamp assemblies;
- The SUV body meets North American roof compression standards.
The last point hints at possible US compliance, something GAC Motor has been rumored to be working on for the past few years – and the rumors intensified since launching the vehicle in the US, while it is only available in China.
As we reported just this morning with Toyota’s latest effort, China is likely to see a lot more electric vehicle models than Europe and especially North America over the next few years thanks to its zero-emission vehicle mandate.
GAC Motor is among the domestic automakers planning to take advantage of it and it even recently announced a giant $6.5 billion electric vehicle industrial park – with Tesla Gigafactory-like buildings to produce batteries and EVs.
The new GE3 is the first major step in the segment, but Yu Jun, president of GAC Motor, says that two more vehicles, sedan and SUV models, will follow will all-electric powertrains based on the same platform. They plan to achieve an even greater range of “400-500km” (250 to 310 miles) with those vehicles expected in 2019 with the start of production at the new EV industrial park.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.