PR stunt? Maybe, but nonetheless the move is highlighting the importance of the solar industry in the U.S. job market. The industry is now employing twice as many workers as the coal industry and it is growing at a much faster pace. Solar added 31,000 new jobs last year to bring the total to 173,807 at the end of 2014.
This one day hiring spree is focused on sales jobs across ten states, but the company is planning the add even more employees through its solar panel manufacturing effort. The Gigafactory under-construction in Buffalo is expected to create 5,000 jobs once operating at full capacity in 2017, but the company is already hiring at the facility and is expected to start low-volume production early in 2016.
The company will hold events on Wednesday, October 21 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. in the following locations:
- Maryland – Clarksburg; Hunt Valley; Beltsville
- Pennsylvania – Norristown
- Delaware – Newark
- New Jersey – Blackwood
- New York – Bethpage, Long Island; Westchester
- Connecticut – Hartford; Milford
- Massachusetts – Marlborough; Norwell
- Vermont/New Hampshire – Burlington
- California – Milpitas; Emeryville; Orange County; Hawthorne; Riverside; San Diego
Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe the podcast.